Fran on Holidays last year

Fran on Holidays last year
Vino at Mercatello

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Part two.

Day 3 - Part 2

We left the delightful Gordes and drove through the fruity counryyside and reached L'isle-sur-la-Sorgue around noon. It was in full swing with the most market stalls I have seen at any market for a long time. 
It made it so colourful and full of life, but also made it hard to appreciate this pretty town. It has waterways running through it with little bridges crossing over. There is a waterwheel and grassy slopes to lie on and many restaurants and cafes. 


We wandered through the markets and I resisted buying things. I don't need more things! My suitcase is heavy enough - though leaving Brisbane it was only 13.5kg. So I did sneak some gorgeous smelling soaps and L'Occitane shampoo and conditioner.


We wandered the backstreets and poked around a little, then didn't want to squash ourselves into one of the many restaurants so opted for a picnic. Bought some salad and rolls from the markets and sat on the grassy slope by the little stream and listened to a chanteuse entertaining the crowds with delightful French songs.






Finally made a move and arrived into Avignon and parked in a bus parking area just inside the gates!
Had to do the little jig of Sur La Pont Avignon....... you know how the tune goes. Looking out from the bridge we saw hundreds of people along the banks of the river watching the locals race on their jet skis. It was an organised carnival and had the locals cheering loudly.



We left them to it and made our way up through the narrow streets to the piazza (Italian term) (Place - French Term!) outside the Palace of the Popes. I was in Avignon a few years ago with my sister Catherine. We stayed in the most amazing little B&B opposite the Palace with the eccentric lady of the house. Lots of fun memories. So I reacquainted myself with the town whilst Steve went into the Palace. We had hoped to contact our friends Alan and Jan from Sydney as they are staying in Avignon. But no luck. I hoped we would just run into them as we sat in one of the many outdoor cafe for a while soaking up the atmosphere.

We got back to our hotel in St Remy round 5 and our friends rang! No luck getting together this time I'm afraid. We spent some time writing and reading then headed off for another lovely French dinner. No foam for me this time. I had duck, Steve had pork and we both turned our noses up at the bull on offer!

And so to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment