Fran on Holidays last year

Fran on Holidays last year
Vino at Mercatello

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

My last day . Sad but happy





This morning I packed, unmade  the bed, visited the markets, had a coffee in the Place de Mairie and got into the car for the trip to Nice and the flight home.

Oh how I'm going to miss this laid back life style, the eating out, the mooching around, the       foreign accents, the walks around the villages, the autumn leaves, the neat gardens, the graceful houses, the iron work on houses, the fresh baguette, the musical "bonjour" each morning. All of it will be missed.

As will the Italian equivalent: the operatic way of life, the friendly embracing people, the "bonjourno", the " allora", the Aperol spritz, the pencil pines, the caprese salads, the beautiful vegetables, the quiet villages during siesta, the blue skies, the autumn colours, loud voices, church  bells, nonnas with creased faces and friendly smiles, the markets, vino or vin (depending on the country)  rouge / blanc / rose  / rosso  / bianco.  All of it will be missed. 

But I'm so lucky I got to share it with generous Steve, and Pip my lovely niece,
beautiful smiley Pat, my lovely sister Catherine, my two "oldest" fun friends Narelle and Anne, with 
wonderful friends Lindy and Geoff, Jill and Chris, Carmel and Peter, and Margaret and John . It was an experience shared and bonds made forever. Thank you all.

I'm sitting in the Qantas/ BA airline lounge (upgraded to business - thank you Our Lady of the 
Upgrades and generous husband Steve) and I'm just about weeping with the joy of remembering the details of this wonderful adventure. I'm sorry I didn't get to share with more of my friends from 
home but I know you were with me in spirit and have been reading the blog.

See you all soon - lets drink a glass of bubbles and celebrate together. The 16th is as  good a day as any!

1 comment:

  1. Bienvenuti Fran....it's been a joy to read of your travel tales....I almost thought I could be there with you as you so accurately described what you saw, heard, smelt, ate and drank. You've made some lovely memories to hold on to and while Brisbane doesn't have the same charm as Europe, it's not a bad place to come home to. See you soon my friend over some bubbles. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete