Fran on Holidays last year

Fran on Holidays last year
Vino at Mercatello

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Back to Italy

New adventure : Back to Italy

Goodbye to my Paris apartment

My day on Sunday started early. I finished all my list of things for Paris so off I went in a taxi to Gare de Lyon, for my train. There was a problem getting one yesterday so today I am off to Nice via Marseilles. 

I arrived in Nice after an ok stop in Marseilles where I didn't have to lug the bag up and down stairs. Then onto Nice. By then it was raining hard, dark by 5.30 and got off the train in pouring rain and had to walk the length of the platform . Then found there was not lift so had to carry the bag and the extra cabin bag, down then up lots of stairs. Then walk 200 metres to the Best Western ( which was by this time something I was regretting booking). Why? because I thought I don't want to have to get a taxi. I can walk I thought. But in the pouring rain with 2 bags that were by now very heavy! 
Arrived dripping and hungry and asked was there somewhere I could get some dinner. Helpful man on front desk said " Oh you're in Nice, you must go out for dinner" Go on a train to the water front! Are you joking I thought! This is the water front as it was teeming outside. So I asked if I could possibly have something ordered in and he said helpfully "you can have tomorrow's picnic lunch". The hotel gives everyone a packed lunch. Have a picnic in your room he advised with a smile. Well it was so much fun in my room eating a tuna sandwich and watching tv. At the least I got an English speaking channel and got to hear all about the election in the USA. Lucky me. 

Next morning bright and early I was first for breakfast and then back to the station - in reverse. This time down the stairs and then up to the platform. Oh why I thought did I choose this! 
I arrived at Ventimiglie where you have to change again for an Italian train. But I cleverly walked out of the station and got a bus which landed me half an hour later near the school I am attending. I struggled in and up and got started with a test of my Italian. I settled down and was put with Mario and a very nice young man as my teacher in a class of mixed bodies from France, Germany and Switzerland. I'm such a novelty. 

Walked around the town after class dragging my bag and looking for my apartment. Eventually a very nice young man took pity and carried my bag up a very steep hill. (shades of Lerici, Pat, if you are reading this) 

Hello to my Sanremo apartment!

Apartment is nice with lovely views of the town towards the sea, with a lovely helpful lady named Hilda in the upstairs apartment to help me settle in. But no wifi! Oh no I thought - cut off. So my nights will be spent reading and typing things up to send at the school the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment