Fran on Holidays last year

Fran on Holidays last year
Vino at Mercatello

Monday, November 12, 2012

Last day in Sanremo.... Out if order! Just this before Cotignac!

Last day at school 

It's funny that by the last day of a week  you are finally feeling comfortable and it's time to stay goodbye. 
I can see why it's better to come for two weeks to any language school! 
Anyway Adrian, Mr French teenager (permanently attached to his telefonata) and I had our last session. Mario the teacher was calm quiet, sweet and shy. He had no girlfriend he told me because he was waiting for the right girl to come along! Sweet. I bought him coffee today during our break. He was most appreciative. These little breaks are great. You get to go to a neighbouring cafe and enjoy a coffee. They encourage you to go so you can do the ordering etc and feel part of the local community. By the end of the week the people in the cafe know you and greet you with smiles and usually even remember your order. Probably to avoid having to wait patiently for each class member to get it out! 
We returned  to class and the second half is spent doing the last part of our serialised  story - in this case the final part of a mystery. All very exciting. 
We had just about finished when the school director Daniel (looks like italian Steve Martin)  and the school secretary (an adorable Brazilian girl called Simone) arrived in class to make a presentation. They gave me a certificate and a "piccolo regalo" - a little present of two locally made soaps all tied up with ribbon and flowers (Sanremo is known as the flower city). Such a lovely way to end.
[l to r]             Principal Daniel, Francesca, French Pierre, Teacher Mario, Secretary Simone, Swiss Adrian.
Though it was not over yet. I had the afternoon booked to visit the Villa Nobel where Alfred Nobel lived and worked after he had blown up several other locations in Europe. 

But before that  I took a little visit to the post office to post a small box home - its always an  interesting experience in an Italian post office. This was no exception as the man behind the counter adopted me. I had forgotten to bring my passport so had to dash back to the apartment. When I returned he greeted me like an old friend but then it took a full 15 minutes to arrange it to be sent. And I had already completed all the paperwork. They almost had a whole file just on me by the time it was over. And I had a new friend. 

Finished the afternoon at the Villa which was interesting and then walked back along the waterfront and had a drink with Robert, the Austrian, to plan our trip on Sunday. Robert happens to be going to Cotignac where I and going to stay with the Brannocks so I'm going with him. Can't believe how well it's worked out. I was not looking forward to trains and changing trains on Monday. This way I arrive early - before the Brannocks, but I also have a day to explore and rest. I'm staying at a local B&B. 

Tomorrow last day in lovely Sanremo. 
Oh can you believe - while I've been typing this I have been watching the final episode of Junior Masterchef Australia! Dubbed in Italian! What a hoot! George sounds funny but not as silly as Mr Cravat Matt sounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment